Wednesday 13 June 2012

And here comes the wall...

Sorry for the long silence guys - had a bad cold last week, followed by a migraine, followed by a stomach bug (which I'm only really getting over today). Yup, it never rains but it pours...

I'm going to warn you now. This is another one of my whining/ranting posts - so feel free not to read on if you don't want to! I promise I do have some interesting posts to write - I just can't seem to find the time/energy to write them right now haha!

Anyway, as I've complained about before, I have my first major deadline looming up next week. My aim was to have the first rough draft of my WIP finished by the 19th June, but I'm going to be honest - I don't know if I'll be able to do it. For a start, I've been pretty ill and that set me back a bit - but I could work around that if my motivation hadn't suddenly deserted me today. All throughout this particular WIP I've been excited about the story and where it's going, and eager to get the words down the page, telling myself that it doesn't matter if I don't like what I've written because I can go back and change it later.

That approach doesn't seem to be working so well today. I don't know what happened, but suddenly I looked at my WIP and although I am still so excited about the story, I just couldn't write anymore. I suspect a large part of this 'hitting the wall' feeling is because I'm currently writing a scene that is, well, a bit boring. I need the scene in the book to explain a few things that are going on (and to introduce the main conflict of the book actually) but I don't think it's in the form that I want it to be in. This shouldn't bother me, but I've actually rewritten this scene before and it's still not right. And now I'm wondering if everything I've written so far is boring, and if any of it even makes sense at all - which is not encouraging! Argh!

Plus, since I've been ill, I can't drink tea. So that's one of my major comforters down the drain!

I guess I'll just have to keep powering through. I know I can change scenes and edit it at a later date, but it is still a bit depressing when I don't get it right first time! Also, because the last few days haven't been as productive as I would have liked, I think I'm starting to assume that I won't be bale to finish at all....talk about being a pessimist!! I promise I'll try and cheer up by the time I write my next post ;)!

How do you cope with 'hitting the wall'? Do you keep on writing? Or do you step back and take a moment to think about your work before carrying on?

Hope you're all having a great day!

xx


2 comments:

  1. Eeek if you ever find out how to prevent "hitting the wall", be sure to let me know! I go into writing slumps occasionally, and look back at my WIP with utter dismay. I think "how can it look so boring now, when I was so excited about it last week?"

    The only things I would say are a) the feeling will pass and you'll get excited about it again soon enough. b) don't write a scene that feels boring. If it's boring to write, it'll be boring to read, surely?

    You might like this link, if only to ignite the creativity in you once more http://www.webook.com/911writersblock

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! That's exactly how I feel right now! I still am excited about my project, but I just can't see past this stupid scene at the moment, and all my motivation is ebbing away because of it!
    Thank you so much for the advice and the link :)! I completely agree with not writing a boring scene - it doesn't really hold my attention when I read it, and I know it's definitely got to go - the only thing is, at the moment I have nothing to put in it's place!
    LOVING the link you gave me btw :)! I'm having a lot of fun with it haha!

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting and meeting new people :). Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS