Wednesday 1 April 2015

A is for...Algorithm

Welcome to the A - Z Blogging Challenge 2015!

The idea of this blogging challenge is that you post every day (except Sundays) throughout April, with each day's post being linked to the corresponding letter of the alphabet. So today's letter is A, tomorrow's will be B, Friday's will be C and so on.

Just a fair word of warning - my blog posts are primarily going to be on writing/self publishing/cake.

So let's get down to it!



A is for...Algorithm

Algorithm: a set of rules for solving a problem in a finite number of steps, as for finding the greatest common divisor.

Since I'm a YA sci-fi writer, I thought I'd geek out a little with this post ;) - originally I was going to do a blog centred around my book's main character, Anais, but then I decided this would be more fun (after all, who doesn't like the word 'algorithm'...?). 

When I first started writing, I thought that there was a magic formula that would miraculously make me write my book in a day (or, even better, one that would write it for me). I thought that if I followed certain steps, or used certain themes in my writing, I'd been sure to bang out the bestsellers in no time at all.

Except, it turns out that there is no magic algorithm or potion that will help you write better, or write more books. At the end of the day, the only person who can do that is...well, you.

Writing a book takes time, hard work and dedication. I know, I know - not exactly the three most inspiring words ever, but it's true. My book, Synthetica, was only born out of my determination to actually finish a book I was writing, and having a burning desire to write Anais' story. 

I will admit, however, that there is one crucial different between me writing this book, and my countless other failed attempts - I bought a book on how to write. It's called 'How to Nail Your Novel' by Roz Morris, and I can honestly say that it turned my process of writing upside down. I probably wouldn't have even finished Synthetica, if I hadn't read that book.

BUT...even with all it's hints and tips, I still didn't end up following the book to the letter. I had to figure out which parts worked for me and which didn't. I adapted some of the processes, and completely threw out others. And some bits of advice I followed to the letter. I still had to figure out what worked best for me and my book.

There is no magical formula to help you write a book (though I find tea x cake x music = a Rachel who's more inclined to write). At the end of the day, it's up to YOU to figure out for your own algorithm to help you write. Whether it's a combination of tea and silence, or writing in a group, or writing at certain times of the day, or only using a certain notebook/pen - it's completely up to you! So go forth, and discover your own writing 'algorithms'!*

So what about you? Do you have any rituals or habits that make it easier for you to write, or keep writing?

Let me know :)!

*Okay okay, fine, I'll stop saying it now....ALGORITHMS!...okay, now I'm done.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Just visiting from http://olivegroveview.blogspot.gr/ where I'm doing the A to Z Challenge. I don't know about rituals or habits that make me write, but in a former life I worked on a daily paper and there's nothing like a deadline and a crotchety news editor to make you get going at the keyboard. Can't always vouch for it being good, but the work certainly got done. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark! Nice to meet you :)! Haha, thank goodness I don't have a news editor! He wouldn't be very impressed with my procrastination....thanks for stopping by, good luck with the challenge :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your book!

    My writing time looks like this: Morning, silence, alone. Alone does often include a dog on my lap or at my feet.

    I wish there was a nifty algorithm. That would make things so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! Thank you :)! That sounds like a great way to write - I do find it easier to concentrate when there's no distractions. Perhaps for my next project I'll try and bottle that magic formula...

      Delete
  3. I read a lot of how-to books when I was first writing - you did the right thing by picking out the advice that would work for you.

    Annalisa at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annalisa! It really does help so much - I was really surprised, because I wasn't really expecting it to help at all, but now I can't imagine writing without that book!

      Delete
  4. I have a math phobia so words like algorithm tend to immediately induce anxiety in me, rather than inspire confidence in the idea that there are steps to follow. But I get what you're saying about finding your own process- that's a piece of advice I've heard a lot from you published author types.

    Happy release day, again!! I'm so thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm sorry Beverly! I promise that none of my other posts are so maths related ;). Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  5. Tea definitely helps! :) Nice to "meet" you, Rachel!

    - Carrie Butler, A-Z Minion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, thanks for stopping by :)! I agree - I actually think that my morning mug of tea is the most important part of the whole process ;)

      Delete

I love chatting and meeting new people :). Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS