Thursday 23 April 2015

T is for...Time

Today's blog post is brought to you by the letter 'T'!



I wanted to get a good chunk of my latest WIP detailed synopsis/outline done this week, but it really hasn't happened. I was planning on coming home straight after school and writing until the Engineer got back from work, but here's what my week actually ended up looking like so far:

Monday: invited over to a friend's house for a cup of tea. Got caught in traffic for an hour on the way home due to an accident. Words written: 0

Tuesday: Got home on time, but had to tidy up house from epic building work that took place at the weekend. Words written: 0

Wednesday: Inset evening at school for an hour. Got caught in traffic again. Went shopping. Made supper, but didn't eat until after 8. Words written: 0

Thursday: Got home on time, but had a phone call from a friend I haven't spoken to in about six months. Words written: 0

It's actually quite depressing when I write it out like that, but there were many things this week that were outside my control (I did pre-plan for the phone call today though, and took my laptop to school, but when I went really anti-social working on it in the staffroom so I put it away again!). I have made a couple of little notes on my phone whenever an idea has occurred to me, but I haven't really been able to sit down and work on my WIP properly.

There are going to be some weeks when you simply can't, for whatever reason, sit down and write, however much you want to. Time will run away from you and before you know it, the whole week has passed in a blur and you're not entirely sure how it happened.

I haven't had the time to write this week. But am I going to let it stop me? No. If anything, it's making me even more determined to use my time wisely while the Engineer is away this weekend, and write as much as I can.

So make time to write, but equally, don't beat yourself up if you can't find the time. That's life. Don't let it get you down, or stop you from writing. Sometimes that's just the way it goes :).

Do you plan time to write? What do you do if you can't find the time to write? Do you try and make up the time?

16 comments:

  1. At least people are working on their novels. I wrote a rough draft version of mine, and really have not found the interest to revisit it at all. I like working on my art and my blogs more these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we don't feel inspired to write, and that's fine too! It can take a while for the creativity juices to start flowing again :)

      Delete
  2. I don't set a specific time aside, but I make it a goal every day, so we when I get done with everything else I can squeeze *some* writing in. Might not be much, might be a lot, it just depends on the day! Good luck getting those words in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan, Cortney! Eventually, all those words will add up :)

      Delete
  3. I find whenever I plan to write, it never works out. But when I don't plan, it doesn't always work, either. I usually just wait around for the inspiration and try to get as much done as I can when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My planned 'writing time' often goes down the drain too - I like the idea of waiting for inspiration to strike - I just wish it would happen more often!

      Delete
  4. Stopping in from A-Z. I have learned...time is my friend....and my worst enemy. When the ideas seem to flow...I have no time. When I have plenty of the stuff...I sit and draw a blank. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes, I'm the same! It's when I'm at work or driving in my car that my inspiration seems to strike, but when I get home...nothing! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. I have general fields of time that I try to plant with words. ;) When I don't manage to get the writing done at a particular time or on a particular day, I think I've generally gotten good at trying harder the next day without getting disheartened.

    Visit my new author blog at http://chriskelworth.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds like a good approach, Chris! Well done for not giving up! That's my worst sin as a writer!

      Delete
  6. Just popped in to say Hi! I couldn't agree more. Time gets away from me all the time.
    I hope you're enjoying the A to Z challenge as much as I am! And yes, we ARE writing. THIS is taking up TIME but it's been great!
    Shirley Corder from
    Out of Africa - Topics from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley! Haha, this month I think we're all allowed a little leeway with our writing deadlines ;)

      Delete
  7. I can totally relate. Besides the A to Z blog challenge, I'm endeavoring to write fifty thousand words on the Camp NaNoWriMo challenge. It's interesting, for sure. Happy writing! You can find me at http://darlamsands.blogspot.com/, which is number 1209 on the A to Z challenge list today. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! I hope you manage to get it all done! Thanks for stopping by, Darla :)

      Delete
  8. I recognise that week! Thankfully some other ones are much more productive. Stuart from http://stuartlennon.com
    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a lot of the time, it's swings and roundabouts with writing...let's hope this month is more productive than the last! Thanks for stopping by, Stuart!

      Delete

I love chatting and meeting new people :). Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS