Thursday 2 April 2015

B is for...Back to Basics

Welcome to day two of the A - Z Blogging Challenge!

Today's post is brought to you by the letter B ;)




I think it's easy to get caught up when writing your book in what I would call 'the big things', e.g. plot, character arcs, character motivations, timeline, formatting, fonts, book cover....I could go on.

But all that work won't mean anything if you don't get the very basics right.

And by basics I mean spelling, grammar and punctuation.

There still seems to be a horrible misconception surrounding indie publishing; most people seem to assume that any book that's self-published is generally going to be full of spelling mistakes and other errors. In the beginning, they may have been right, but over the past few years, indie authors have really upped their game. Indie publishing is no longer thought of as a new form of vanity press, or a quick way to make money. It can (and should) be a serious career for authors.

Which is why authors should treat their self-published books no differently to a book that's been traditionally published. Readers are still going to read your book. Reviewers are still going to review it. Self publishing is no excuse for sloppy writing.

I'm not saying that if you're spelling and grammar is perfect, you'll immediately sell thousands of copies, but it will help. People who read your book will be able to see how much care and attention you've put into it, and will be more likely to buy your other books (providing, y'know, they liked the premise of your first book).

I know how difficult it is to catch every single spelling and grammar mistake. No matter how many times you, or your beta readers, comb through your manuscript, there's bound to be one or two that you miss. And that's acceptable, so long as the rest of your work isn't littered with mistakes. It can really grate on the reader and pull them out of the story if they're constantly having to stop and think about what you're trying to say. I read a book recently that repeated sentences further down the page on at least two separate occasions, if not more. I can honestly say I probably won't read one of their books again - not just because of the repeated sentences, but because of silly spelling mistakes and other errors which constantly grated on me. And this was by a traditionally published author, who had decided to self-publish this particular book.

So, make sure you read through your work for any little mistakes. And then reread it. And then reread it again. And then get someone else to check it for you.

At the very least, there's no excuse nowadays not to use spellcheck!

How about you? Have you ever noticed any mistakes in books that simply shouldn't have happened?

Hvae a grate dai evry1 ;)!

12 comments:

  1. I check and re-check my spelling and grammar, and a few mistakes still slip in. I hate it when I see it in my own work, but I'm more forgiving in others.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! It wasn't until one of my beta readers (who's an English teacher) pointed out a few small errors, that I even realised! I'm definitely more forgiving in others too - I honestly don't mind a few mistakes, so long as the rest of the story is good :)

      Delete
  2. You're absolutely right on producing a professional product when self-publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RaShelle :)! I hope others think the same too!

      Delete
  3. This is so true. I was once given an ebook to review but I couldn't get past the first few chapters because there were so many spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes. I contacted the author and politely explained that I didn't feel I could review it in its current state. It's amazing the number of little mistakes I've seen in traditionally published books, though. I've seen some really odd continuity errors and spelling mistakes that have slipped through the net.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's fair enough - if I received a book like that, I wouldn't think it was worth reviewing either. Yes! I've spotted some too - I don't mind small mistakes, but occasionally I'll notice a big one and think, 'how on earth did you miss that??'

      Delete
  4. Sometimes even spell check will miss something. It helps me to comb for mistakes chapter by chapter as I write them. Much easier to catch rather then searching through a whole manuscript. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good plan, David! I think I may have to adopt that approach for my next book!

      Delete
  5. I don't think I have ever read a book without at least one error...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, Carrie - I honestly don't mind small mistakes in small doses, it's just when they're constant and they pull me out of the story that I have an issue with it :(

      Delete
  6. I think you're right. I know when I write, I think of the reader and want them to get the best product for their hard earned money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! That's a very good perspective to have!

      Delete

I love chatting and meeting new people :). Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS