Tuesday 14 April 2015

L is for...Love

Today's A to Z Challenge post is focusing on the letter L!




I suck at writing romances. I don't know what it is, but I find it incredibly awkward to write romantic scenes, or even hint at romance between characters. Even if the characters are just sharing a glance, rather than a steamy kiss, I still get embarrassed. And although I don't mind reading about romance, I find writing it a whole different kettle of fish.

Perhaps it's because in some YA, romances tend to get overblown into 'love at first sight', where every glance makes the MC 'shiver' or 'tingle' and heaven forbid they actually touch, or they might just both explode (which would be unfortunate, but quite an original story I think...). I'm happy to try and squeeze every bit of drama out of almost any situation, and yet, romantic relationships doesn't seem to be one of them. I get all awkward and shy because I'm so scared that the reader won't buy into my character's relationship.

But how do you go about changing this? At some point, I might want to write a story where the romance, not the sci-fi or explosions, takes centre stage. How can I expect readers to buy my character's relationship, if I don't even feel comfortable writing it? If my writing is stilted and awkward, the odds are, the character's 'love' for each other will come across like that too.

In all honesty, I still don't have an answer to this question. But I don't mind not knowing how to write realistic romances for the minute, because it's always something I can always find out and it's something that I'm happy to keep improving on. I have an idea for the sequel to Synthetica which will redefine several major romantic relationships, and I simply cannot wait to write it. Perhaps that's what I've been lacking in my other attempts at writing romance - being in love with my characters' love ;)!

So how about you? How do you write your character's romances? Do you find it easy or hard? Do you have any tips for writers like me, that find it difficult to write about love?? I can't wait to hear your thoughts :)!

4 comments:

  1. I found it hard to write at first too. But at some point I simply forced myself to write those romantic scenes. Whether they might ever be published is a whole other matter. You don't have to do full blown loves scenes, just push your boundaries to where you feel comfortable. I personally hate writing choreographed love scenes, because I'm just not good at it. I rather focus on the the emotions involved. Sorry if I don't make any sense. I hope you find the perfect solution for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Murees! I like the idea of focusing on the emotions during a romantic scene...I might have to try that next time :)

      Delete
  2. I've found having a slight attraction and yet something about the characters that push them away from each other usually makes for a more interesting dynamic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that thought, David! I'm going to have to bear that in mind the next time I'm thinking of getting two of my characters romantically involved.

      Delete

I love chatting and meeting new people :). Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS