Wednesday 15 April 2015

M is for...Making a Mess

Today's blog post is all about the marvellous letter 'M'!




Somedays (actually, most days if I'm completely honest) when I'm writing, I get stuck on a plot point,  or my character suddenly won't do what I want them to do, or I can't think how I want a scene to go, despite having a rough synopsis in front of me.

I know most people would encourage you to power on through, and that's fine, and I completely agree that you should never abandon a WIP just because of a tricky situation. However, sometimes when you're stuck for ideas, it can help to step back for a moment and do something completely different.

I think I've already mentioned that I like to bake to celebrate finishing a draft, but I also love baking as a way to distract myself when the words simply won't come. There's something about clearing your mind and focusing on something completely different that makes the creative juices start flowing again (most of the time...). It's generally when I can't physically write my ideas down, either because I'm elbows deep in dough, or I happen to be driving along a motorway, that I'll have that flash of inspiration that solves whatever writing dilemma I've managed to get myself into.

If I don't want to mess up my kitchen (unlikely), I might go for walk, read, watch a film, or start another creative project (i.e. wedding planning and choosing how to redecorate the house) - anything to take my mind off my writing for a little while. It might take an hour, a day or a week, but eventually, I'll get there in the end.

So if you are stuck for what to do next, or your WIP isn't going the way you want it to, try making your own 'mess' - the messier you get, the more likely you'll solve whatever problem that's been bugging you ;).

How about you? What do you do when you're stuck in your writing?

6 comments:

  1. Hello there.
    I have to have organization in my life to function. You could even say I'm ocd about tidiness...although, I've relaxed somewhat over the years!
    Thanks for sharing. Happy baking and writing!

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :)! I can't stand having a messy house for long (though I do quite often neglect my chores if I'm in the middle of a WIP) - when I bake, I have to put ingredients away one at a time as I use them up!

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! Getting in a mess works every time especially if you do something you can't just wash your hands and walk away from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Keith! If you can't walk away from it, you're forced to stay and see it through - I wonder if there's any way I can apply that to my writing...hmm...

      Delete
  3. I've never tried making a mess to solve a problem before, but if it works, I'm down!

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :)! You should definitely give it a go - if nothing else, it's loads of fun ;)!

      Delete

I love chatting and meeting new people :). Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS